Monday, April 4, 2011

Shredded

I've often noted that Mother Nature is an unkind, cold-hearted bitch with no mercy for anything or anyone and last week's heavy weather proved my point again.

Thunderstorms rolled through on Wednesday night and with that came high winds and pea-sized hail. You wouldn't think pea-sized hail could do a lot of damage, but we aren't Swiss chard, rutabagas or turnips.





I expect most of it to come back, although three of my Early Girl 50 tomato plants are toast. I've been trying to imagine what an impact this would be if I were some 19th century pioneer who totally relied on my crops for sustenance. I guess I'd be doing just what I'm doing, tending to the injured plants and readying the earth for more planting and praying to Baby Jesus to tell Mother Nature to "piss off por su person." I know you don't understand what that means, but I assure you it is very hi-larious.

Oh well, back to square two and a half. My dream of tomatoes by May are now just a distant memory, but at least there is this: Unlike Jeremiah Johnson, I can drive down to the grocery and purchase tomatoes that were grown in Chile, packed in California and fertilized with human poo. What a civilized world we live in!

- Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

jbatson said...

I thought my gutter falling off my house and washing my tomatoes away was bad! At least I was able to replant them and fix my gutter with no problem! Looks like one hell of a storm............you going to visit Spring any time soon?