Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Curious Happenings

Usually during the night I rise from the bed at least twice.  Sometimes it is to get something to drink, but more often it is because of pesky cats stomping on my head at 3:30 a.m.  I don't mind it so much, well maybe I do, but they've trained me well and I seem not to bother with anger.

Usually I get up to let Wildcat out or sometimes to let him in if he is already outside.  Last night, I put him out at 1:30 and I woke at three-something when Shadow was making laps up and down my body.  I got out of bed, opened the door on the porch, called for Wildcat who usually pops right up from his rocking chair perch, but he did not appear.  Strange I thought, and I shuffled back to bed.

I woke again at 5 a.m. and lumbered to the door, called for Wildcat and still he did not appear.  Hmmm.  I looked at his favorite sleeping chair in the house and there he was, curled up, but watching his stupefied daddy standing dumfounded in total state of confusion.  "I don't recall letting you in," I said to Wildcat.  He just stared.  Probably wondering if I was going to get out the milk or a can of tuna.

Anyway, I turned to begin my morning routine when I realize that the coffeemaker was on.  Well, that's odd. Very infrequently do I prepare the coffee pot to make the coffee on its own.  More often than not I am pouring out the remainder of yesterday's brew and starting a fresh pot at 5 a.m.  But here was yesterday's coffee, nice and warm and ready for a cup just like Dad used to do it.

Dad rarely ever drank fresh coffee.  He would make a full pot and spend the next day or two drinking it semi-warm or cold.  He'd hit the "on" button on the second day just to freshen it up a bit and sometimes the pot would last three days or even longer.  Yes, he was a strange character.

It has been almost a year since Dad passed on and joined the great Ole Miss Pep Rally in the sky, so I guess he decided to pay a visit last night.  I can't explain how the cat got in or the coffee pot got turned on other than to say "Have a cup Dad, sit down a stay a while."



No comments: